NASA astronauts Doug Hurley (left) and Bob Behnken stand in entrance of the Tesla Mannequin X that can carry them to the launchpad for the SpaceX Demo-2 launch.
Tesla revealed in a latest submitting a number of the ways in which the corporate works with CEO Elon Musk’s different companies together with SpaceX and The Boring Firm.
The submitting reveals associated get together transactions that included SpaceX buying $2.6 million price of Tesla car parts, and $1.5 million price of Tesla Vitality methods, parts and companies in 2020. The submitting, published late Friday, notes that these costs embrace labor, and a number of the elements and methods had been modified.
Collaboration between Musk’s companies is not new.
For instance, SpaceX shares two board members with Tesla. Elon Musk sits on the board of each, as does his brother Kimbal Musk and Antonio Gracias.
SpaceX has additionally made it a convention to drive astronauts to the launchpad within the firm’s model of an “astrovan,” a NASA logo-emblazoned Tesla Mannequin X, for crewed launches and different events. And Tesla shares some staff with SpaceX, together with Charles Kuehmann, who serves as vice chairman of supplies engineering for each firms.
The transactions between Musk’s companies have been comparatively small thus far. However Friday’s submitting means that SpaceX purchased extra tech and companies from Tesla over time, even because the automaker battled chip shortages which have plagued the auto business.
The corporate’s Crew Dragon capsule “Resilience” returned to Earth on Sunday, splashing down within the Gulf of Mexico after a record-setting SpaceX-NASA mission to the Worldwide House Station.
To satisfy its numerous missions, SpaceX purchased $2.1 million price of automobile elements, together with labor and modifications for non-vehicle use, from Tesla within the first quarter of 2021 alone. That is greater than triple the $600,000 SpaceX spent on Tesla automobile elements throughout the identical interval the prior yr.
Throughout Tesla’s first-quarter earnings name on April 26, 2021, Musk touted a record quarter for his electrical automobile firm. He additionally bemoaned the complexity of car manufacturing typically, and the continuing chip scarcity and provide chain constraints plaguing the business and Tesla.
He stated the hassle it took for Tesla to attain excessive quantity electrical car manufacturing included overcoming “a logistics downside that makes World Conflict II look trivial.” The CEO added that the primary quarter of 2021 had, “…A few of the most tough provide chain challenges that we have ever skilled within the lifetime of Tesla. Insane difficulties with the availability chains with elements, over the entire vary of elements.”
The Tesla submitting on Friday did not say precisely what SpaceX bought or the way it will use all the methods and elements.
The submitting additionally stated The Boring Firm, the place Musk is a co-founder and vital shareholder, is now a tiny buyer of Tesla’s, too. The Boring Firm bought “Tesla Vitality methods and associated companies” for a complete of $300,000 throughout 2020.
Musk’s tunneling enterprise developed the Las Vegas Conference Middle Loop, 1.7 miles of tunnels to hold guests to totally different exhibit halls. Tesla Mannequin 3 car drivers journey by the LVCC loop to choose up and drop off passengers who should ebook their rides through an app.
The LVCC loop value Nevada taxpayers about $50 million, and has been criticized for a scarcity of pedestrian entrances, walkways and platforms, and for its people-moving capability which pales compared to that of a subway.
Tesla’s submitting on Friday did not say whether or not it sells or will promote autos to The Boring Firm for such infrastructure developments.
Here is a listing of the ways in which Tesla says it labored with and was paid by Elon Musk’s firms all through 2020 and thru March this yr, in accordance with the submitting:
- SpaceX bought $1.5 million price of Tesla Vitality methods, parts and associated companies in 2020. It spent $200,000 on comparable purchases in the course of the first quarter of 2021.
- SpaceX purchased $2.6 million price of car parts from Tesla, together with modifications, labor and help in 2020. It spent $2.1 million on the identical gadgets from Tesla within the first quarter of 2021.
- SpaceX paid Tesla $100,000 for “engineering help and sources” utilized in 2020.
- SpaceX ordered a customized instrument that Tesla constructed for it on the automaker’s machining facility for $700,000 in 2020.
- SpaceX licensed software program from Tesla from 2020 by February 2022 for combination charges anticipated to quantity to $100,000 by the tip of that time period.
- Tesla paid SpaceX $600,000 in 2020 to be used of the corporate’s plane. It paid $100,000 to SpaceX for a similar within the first quarter of 2021.
The Boring Firm
- The Boring Firm bought “Tesla Vitality methods and associated companies” for $300,000 throughout 2020.